Trump: ICE will begin removing millions of undocumented migrants soon

President Trump. Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

President Trump tweeted Monday night that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) will begin deporting "millions" of undocumented migrants next week.

Why it matters: There have been more border arrests so far this fiscal year than in any other full fiscal year in the past decade, with close to 600,000 migrant arrests. Immigration agencies have been struggling to care of the large numbers of families and children, mostly from Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala. Many families are quickly released into the U.S. due to lack of space, Axios' Stef Knight notes.

By the numbers: The latest ICE figures show for the third month in a row, there were more than 100,000 border crossings — 144,278 in total.

What they're saying: Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard told a news conference last week Mexico and the U.S. had agreed to monitor migration in upcoming months, with a contingency for discussions on further asylum reforms if it was determined that individuals crossing the U.S. southern border had not been reduced.

Go deeper: Chart: How immigration levels in the U.S. have changed since 1900

Additional Stories

Hong Kong police use tear gas and water cannon on protesters in clashes

Pro-democracy protesters react as police fire water cannons outside the government headquarters in Hong Kong on Sunday. Photo: Nicolas Asfouri/AFP/Getty Images

Hong Kong police fired tear gas and water cannon at pro-democracy protesters as violence again engulfed the Chinese-controlled territory after tens of thousands defied a ban on a mass rally to march through the city Sunday, Bloomberg reports.

The latest: Hundreds of activists threw bricks and petrol bombs over water-filled plastic barriers and into lines of riot police outside the government headquarters in Admiralty, per the Wall Street Journal. Police sprayed blue dye to mark those involved and make them identifiable if they fled, the WSJ notes.

Saudi oil sites hit by drone strikes: U.S. blames Iran

Smoke billowing from an Aramco oil facility following the Houthi attacks. Photo: AFP/Getty Images

Iran denied Sunday U.S. accusations that it was behind drone attacks targeting the world's largest oil processing facility at Abqaiq and a major oilfield at Khurais in Saudi Arabia the previous day.

The latest: Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for the early Saturday strikes, AP reports. But U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran, saying "there is no evidence the attacks came from Yemen." Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said in a statement the U.S. accusations were "blind, incomprehensible and meaningless."

Dorian's devastation in Bahamas: What you need to know

A woman walks on the beach as a storm approaches in Nassau, Bahamas. Photo: Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP/Getty Images

Bahamas government data shows 1,300 people are listed as missing in the islands 2 weeks after Hurricane Dorian devastated the region, as the archipelago's northwest region was lashed by rain from another tropical storm Saturday.

The latest: Tropical Storm Humberto dumped 1 to 3 inches of rain, with pockets of 6-inch rain in parts, as it gained strength and moved north-northwest away from the Bahamas, packing winds of 60 mph, the National Hurricane Center said at 11 p.m. ET. Dorian's death toll remained at 50 but the number of people missing meant it would significantly rise, Bahamian Prime Minister Hubert Minnis said in a national address.

Read more at Axios
© Copyright Axios 2019