U.S. cuts off federal aid to Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras

Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

The U.S. is cutting off federal aid to Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras in response to what President Trump described as incoming migrant caravans from those countries, per a State Department spokesperson, reports CNN.

The big picture: This announcement comes the day after Trump threatened to shut down "large sections" of the U.S.-Mexico border unless Mexico "immediately" stops "all illegal immigration." Earlier this week, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen signed a regional compact agreement with Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras reportedly "aimed at preventing irregular migration, combating criminal organizations and ultimately helping with US border security," per CNN.

Go deeper: "A system-wide breakdown:" DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen asks for volunteers at U.S.-Mexico border

Additional Stories

Trump supporters echo his racist tweets, chanting "send her back"

Trump arrives at the "Make America Great Again" rally at Minges Coliseum in Greenville, North Carolina, on July 17, 2019. Photo: Nicholas Kamm/AFP/Getty Images

Trump supporters chanted "send her back" at a re-election rally on Wednesday, after President Trump listed his grievances with Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.)

The big picture: The House voted 240-187 yesterday to condemn Trump's racist tweets against the 4 Democratic congresswomen of color, all of whom are American citizens. In his tweets, Trump said the congresswomen should "go back" to where they came from.

Cohen hush-money probe case closed: Trump team claims victory

President Trump's former personal attorney Michael Cohen. Photo: Jim Watson/AFP/Getty Images

President Trump’s legal team claimed victory after a federal judge in Manhattan said Wednesday that an investigation into hush-money payments arranged by his former personal lawyer Michael Cohen — which Cohen claims Trump directed — had concluded.

Details: U.S. District Judge William Pauley made the remarks in a court order directing the release of documents by 11 a.m. Thursday relating to 2 women who said they had sexual encounters with Trump. He denies their claims and Cohen's. Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow said in a statement he's "pleased" the probe into "these ridiculous campaign finance allegations" is closed," per Reuters.

House votes to hold Barr and Ross in criminal contempt

Wilbur Ross looks on as William Barr delivers remarks on citizenship and the 2020 Census on July 11. Photo: Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images

The House voted 230-198 to hold Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in criminal contempt of Congress on Wednesday for withholding subpoenaed materials related to the failed 2020 Census citizenship question.

Why it matters: Democrats believe the administration's reason for attempting to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census is "a cover for a politically motivated attempt to eliminate noncitizens from population statistics ... [thereby] diminishing Democratic power," the NYT reports. Wednesday's vote follows a House Oversight Committee decision last month.

Read more at Axios
© Copyright Axios 2019